Thursday 9 October 2014

Open Days and Inductions!

Hello!

Was it really two weeks ago that I blogged! Yikes!

So Saturday just past (4th) was one of the universities open days and I'd been asked to help out again this year for the Faculty of Business and Law - Which im genuinely proud to have been asked to do. As anyone who has been to an open day or worked an open day they can be rather busy events! It was a dreary rainy day in Sunderland though so although it wasn't heaving, there were still a fair amount of people milling about! With the subject talks taking place, things calmed down and I spoke to a few students wishing to study law. It is lovely to speak to people who share the same interests as you do and I end up getting lost in the discussion if law, student life and most often parental worries!
Based on my experience at university I try my best to answer all questions posed to me and pass on any "hints and tips" (im not quite sure how else to term this?) I found through-out my three years, whether it be about the best accommodation or the best bars to go to! This Saturday I also helped take students and parents on a tour of the university campus again helping to answer any questions raised and making sure nobody got lost!

All in all it was a great day, busy and good fun :)

I also started my Masters induction this week! I've been super excited to get back to university and get back into writing and researching again! The summer has been too long but a great break at the same time. It was a two day induction which was just right for the information we were being given, not too fast and not to labouring or boring. I was really worried that I wouldn't know anyone as well on the course and that i would be the lonely kid in the corner....this was dispelled before we had even entered the room for induction! Me and another lady on the course got chatting straight away and we both have similar interests and similar worries! FANTASTIC!

I'm very excited to get started on my first two modules and to explore other areas of law that I haven't previously and to also go back to modules I've already covered but what I am EXTREMELY excited for is in choosing my option modules for my second semester and to start tailoring my masters to my research interests and to what I would like to base my dissertation on, but that doesn't come until around Christmas time ;)

Something that I didn't think about with regards to the masters, but was mentioned, was the "loneliness" of the course due to the differences in each others research areas and the little contact time with lecturers and classmates. I really hadn't thought about that side of the course and it doesn't worry me per se (I'm someone who will speak to anyone really and still have very good friends at the university) but im glad that there will be some social aspect to the course in that we can still go for drinks and meet up to discuss work etc. both as students and with the lecturers.

In all honesty im just wanting to get started and sink my teeth into working again - I'm sure I will be welcoming the breaks in a few weeks time, I'm sure the blogs will tell that story ;)

Oh and just a quick end note to this post - I passed the first stage in applying to be a Student Ambassador and have an assessment center and interview on Tuesday! Keep your fingers crossed for me? Ta!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment